this post was submitted on 21 Aug 2026
72 points (98.6% liked)

World News

41426 readers
293 users here now

News from around the world!

Rules:

founded 6 years ago
MODERATORS
 

Turkiye has sought an international arrest warrant for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, accusing him of “genocide” for Israel’s attack in May on activists aboard the Global Sumud Flotilla for Gaza.

In a post on X on Friday, Turkish Justice Minister Akin Gurlek said arrest warrants had been issued on July 14 for Netanyahu and another suspect. Charges included genocide, crimes against humanity and torture, as part of a case against 35 people over the Israeli interception in international waters.

“In line with the arrest warrants issued against Benjamin Netanyahu … our justice ministry has requested that ⁠the interior ministry issue [Interpol] red notices for them so that they may be sought ⁠internationally,” Gurlek said.

Turkiye will use all available legal mechanisms to ensure Israel is held accountable for its crimes in Gaza, he added.

NATO member Turkiye has been one of the fiercest critics of Israel’s genocidal war ⁠on Gaza and has previously issued domestic arrest warrants for Netanyahu over its attacks.

Turkiye has also repeatedly called for international measures against Israel for what Ankara calls its violations of human rights and international law. Israel denies those charges.

top 5 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[–] ZWQbpkzl@hexbear.net 1 points 28 minutes ago

More bluster from Erdogan. Probably the second most important NATO member, and continues to bluff.

[–] MrSulu@lemmy.ml 9 points 2 hours ago (2 children)

We should treat him no differently than "we" treated Saddam Husain. I'd say Netanyahu is far worse

[–] none@hexbear.net 1 points 40 minutes ago

while there is clearly a genocide, and the attacks on the flotilla were probably illegal, I don't easily see how the flotilla attacks were genocidal.